Football Studies Intermediate
To be successful in the Football industry, it takes a lot more than just being fast on your feet. You must get to grips with the many different components that come together to make the perfect end product. From learning the ins and outs of nutrition, to sports performance psychology, there is a lot more to know than just the competitive side. You must be prepared to work hard, both physically and mentally. Determination and motivation is a must, and a passion for the game is essential. As with all sports, teamwork is one of the most vital aspects, and even if your fellow student is a Manchester United supporter, and you’re all about Manchester City, you must be able to pull together in a variety of different situations, whether it’s on the pitch or in a presentation.
What will I do?
From developing your skills on the pitch, to working on your fitness and refining your study skills, you can expect to discover all areas of the football industry. You will be supported by our dedicated and experienced coaches and tutors to discover career options available in the industry. You will also learn about rules, relegations and officiating in sport, as well as experience coaching in live environments such as local schools. You will have the use of fantastic facilities at Sport Central and be supported with internships within analysis, scouting and coaching with professional football clubs.
From the pitch to the classroom, you will cover everything from technical and tactical skills in sport, to sports psychology and sport as a business. The MK College Football Academy won the ECFA Men’s Premier Cup in 2018 so you can expect to compete at the highest level. You will hear from industry professionals in workshops and talks designed to help you mould your career in the industry.
Is it for me?
If you are serious about a career in sport, predominantly Football, this course will equip you with all the relevant skills and knowledge needed to be successful in the sector. You must be committed to studying, training and playing at an advanced level within the British Colleges Leagues. Being successful in Football takes more than just talent. You must be 100% committed to the sport, and be prepared to work very hard at both your physical and theory training. This involves you training for up to six hours a week plus match days, so be prepared to dedicate a big chunk of your time to the profession.
Level 2: 4 GCSEs at grade 3/D or above including English and Maths. You must also successfully pass a football trial.
WHAT DO I NEED TO PAY?
Whilst the College is able to subsidise some of these additional costs, we are forced to charge an ‘Academy fee’ each year to students wishing to study on the programme. This year the Academy fee is set at £350. In addition to this, kit required for the course will be made available to purchase online for around £150.
These costs are unfortunate yet essential in us running such a specialist and dedicated programme. In addition to the increased coaching hours, students on the programme will benefit from:
• Access to a new 3G Playing facility in the heart of Milton Keynes (Sport Central)
• An internal progression route through from level 2 to Honours Degree Level
• A structured and professional coaching programme with qualified UEFA coaches
• Lead Academy coach is a current ECFA England Coach
• Competitive U21 Saturday Football and Wednesday games
• Strength and Conditioning as part of the timetabled programme
• Day trip to facilities such as St.George’s Park
• Free transport to and from fixtures
• Access to on-site Physiotherapy Support and Sports Massage
• Free tuition towards the FA Level 1 Coaching Qualification
• Access to on-site work experience
• Academy fee covers all player registrations and admin costs with the ECFA
• Access to high level training equipment including performance analysis and video analysis software