T Level: Digital Support Services – Cyber Security
This technical qualification is made up of 3 components, Core Knowledge and Skills, Occupational Specialism and Industry Placement.
What will I do?
1. Core Knowledge and Skills
You will gain fundamental Computer Science knowledge and skills within the first year of the programme. You will gain fundamental knowledge and skills in the areas of Infrastructure and Networking (Digital Environments), Data Management and Analysis, Security and Programming Concepts using Python. Your knowledge and skills gained these topics will be extended further, to a point whereby you can apply these to a business context (being able to consider business culture, diversity and inclusion, legislation, etc.).
The core year is assessed via two written exams and a controlled assessment known as the Employer Set Project.
2. Occupational Specialism
The second year focuses on developing some of the entry-level skills a cyber security technician requires. You will be taught skills prior to attempting small projects to get you to demonstrate these skills. By the end of the year, you should be able to:
• Apply procedures and controls to maintain the digital security of an organisation and its data.
• Propose remediation advice for a security risk assessment.
• Discover, evaluate, and apply reliable sources of knowledge.
The occupational is assessed via a holistic skills-focused controlled assessment, which spans over a period of a few months.
3. Industry Placement
As a mandatory element of the qualification, the learner must partake in a 315-hour work placement with a digital focus. This can be completed over the 2-year duration of the programme.
Throughout all the above, you will also need to show competence in English, Maths & Digital Skills which will be assessed throughout all your course assessments.
This Technical Qualification aligns to the Cyber Security Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship standard, so could open up opportunities in entry-level IT support roles.
Other opportunities include:
• Higher Education at our South Central Institute of Technology or at University.
• Higher (L4/L5) Apprenticeships
• Degree (L6) Apprenticeships
Is it for me?
This course will require a passion for IT Support and Cyber Security. It will also require a dedicated, committed learner, as this course will require around 20 hours per week in College plus the industry placement of at least 1 day per week. This is alongside additional independent study outside of those hours.
Five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English language, Maths and Science OR a vocational qualification at Level 2 at Merit and above in a relevant subject e.g. BTEC in Digital Information Technology with GCSE English language & Maths at 4 or above.
• Having classrooms that are more like real-world workspaces, rather than standard IT Classrooms.
• Being taught by dual professionals: teachers who have worked in the industry.
• Being able to gain real-world industry experience whilst you study with local employers.
• Opportunities to gain additional CISCO qualifications in IT Support, Networking and Cyber Security.
• Working with a broad range of employers from the public sector, SMEs, etc. that either offer IT support services in-house or as a managed service.
How will my progress be monitored?
Students will have access to tutor who will act as their progress mentor, conducting 1:1 reviews with them, supporting them in finding industry placements, etc. Feedback is given in verbal 1:1 meetings, as well as in a written-electronic format through our ePortfolio platform.
How will I be assessed?
Year 1 (Core): 2 Written Exams + 1 Controlled Assessment (Employer Set Project)
Year 2 (Occupational Specialism): 1 Synoptic Controlled Assessment (spanning over 3-4 months).
Work Experience and employers
We work with a range of public and private sector employers that offer industry placements. Industry Placement is a mandatory 315 hours and must be within the Digital sector (e.g. IT/Infrastructure Support, Software Development, Data Analytics or Cyber Security).