Football Studies Advanced
To be successful in the Football industry, it takes a lot more than just being fast on your feet. You must get to grips with the many different components that come together to make the perfect end product. From learning the ins and outs of nutrition, to sports performance psychology, there is a lot more to know than just the competitive side. You must be prepared to work hard, both physically and mentally. Determination and motivation is a must, and a passion for the game is essential. As with all sports, teamwork is one of the most vital aspects, and even if your fellow student is a Manchester United supporter, and you’re all about Manchester City, you must be able to pull together in a variety of different situations, whether it’s on the pitch or in a presentation.
What will I do?
From the pitch to the classroom, you will cover everything from technical and tactical skills in sport, to sports psychology and sport as a business. The MK College Football Academy won the ECFA Men’s Premier Cup in 2018, so you can expect to compete at the highest level. You will hear from industry professionals in workshops and talks designed to help you mould your career in the industry. Learning from experienced coaches and tutors, you will also learn about the rules, relegations and officiating in sport, as well as experience coaching in live environments, such as local schools. You will have the use of fantastic facilities at Sports Central, and be supported with internships within analysis, scouting and coaching with professional football clubs.
You could further your education by taking the next step and enrolling onto a Foundation Degree, relevant University degree or other qualification. You could also take an Advanced Apprenticeship in sport, or a related discipline. You could also head straight into the sport industry, taking on a role in a relevant field.
Is it for me?
If you are serious about a career in sport, predominantly Football, this course will equip you with all the relevant skills and knowledge needed to be successful in the sector. You must be committed to studying, training and playing at an advanced level within the British Colleges Leagues. Being successful in Football takes more than just talent. You must be 100% committed to the sport, and be prepared to work very hard at both your physical and theory training. This involves you training for up to six hours a week plus match days, so be prepared to dedicate a big chunk of your time to the profession.
4 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above including Maths and English.
Please note, You are required to purchase training kit for the course which can be purchased online for around £150. You may be eligible for a bursary to help with these costs – visit our funding page for more information.
In addition to increased coaching hours, students on the programme will benefit from:
- Access to a state-of-the-art 4G Playing facility in the heart of Milton Keynes (Sport Central)
- A structured and professional full time coaching programme with experienced UEFA qualified coaches
- Link with local Step 5 club Milton Keynes Irish allowing us to compete in the FA Youth Cup & Southern Counties Youth Floodlit League
- Compete in ECFA National College Competitions on Wednesdays
- Elite team compete in ECFA Premier League & Spartan South Midlands Division 2 (Step 7 in the English Football Pyramid)
- 1 to 1 Specialised Goalkeeper and fitness sessions with MK Dons First Team Goalkeeper Laurie Walker
- Weekly Strength and Conditioning sessions at our on-site gym
- Transport to and from fixtures provided by the college
- Access to on-site Physiotherapy through PC Physio company
- Free tuition towards the FA Level 1 Coaching Qualification
- Access to on-site work experience
- Access to high-level training equipment including VEO camera & GPS Trackers
- Individual Player Development Plans
- Nutritional Plans & Guidance
- Performance Analysis sessions with the coaches
- Guest Speakers including ex-students now playing professional or semi-professional football