T Level: Digital Business Services – Data Technician
This T Level is made up of a number of components:
- Core which covers the underpinning concepts and skills of the Digital sector
- Occupational specialist which is focussed on the area of data analyst
- Industry placement which is mandatory and must be at least 315 hours over the 2 years
- To achieve the qualification you must complete and achieve all 3 elements you will also need to show competence in English, Maths & Digital Skills
Please note: T Levels are only available for students that will be 16-18 whilst studying the qualification.
What will I do
- Business Context
- Digital Analysis
- Digital Environments
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Source, organise and format data securely in a relevant way for analysis
- Blend data from multiple sources
- Analyse structured and unstructured data to support. business outcomes
- Interpret data and communicate a result appropriate to the audience
- Can apply legal, ethical and professional principles when manipulating data
- Discover, evaluate and apply reliable sources of knowledge
This Technical Qualification aligns to the Data Analyst Technician Level 3 Apprenticeship and therefore supports progression to entry-level job opportunities in data analyst roles. Job roles could include: Data Analyst Technician, Junior Business Analyst or Junior Data Architect.
Is it for me?
T Levels are new two-year, Level 3 study programmes that will follow the study of GCSEs and Technical Awards at Key Stage 4 and offer an attractive alternative to A Levels and Apprenticeships. T Levels will combine classroom theory, practical learning and a minimum 315 hours of industry placement with an employer to make sure students have real experience of the workplace.
The Technical Qualification (TQ) is the main classroom-based element of the T Level and will see students learning from a curriculum that has been shaped by industry experts. During the two-year programme, students will learn the core knowledge that underpins each industry and they will also develop occupationally specific skills that will allow them to enter skilled employment within a specific occupation.
The T Level programmes have been developed in collaboration with employers and businesses so the content will meet the needs of industry and prepare students for work. They provide the knowledge and experience needed to open the door to highly skilled employment, an Apprenticeship or higher level study, including university.
Five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English language, Maths and Science OR a vocational qualification at Level 2 at Merit and above in a relevant subject e.g. BTEC in Digital Information Technology with GCSE English language & Maths at 4 or above.
Don’t worry if you don’t quite have these results. Our Digital Transition Programme is designed to help you get on the T Level pathway. Apply for the T Level, and all of this can be discussed with you at interview. See below for more information about the Transition Programme.
HOW MUCH WILL I HAVE TO STUDY EACH WEEK?
This course will require around 20 hours per week in College plus an industry placement of at least 1 day per week and additional independent study.
HOW WILL MY PROGRESS BE MONITORED?
Through regular assessment and mock exams, progress reviews of Industry Placements and regular one to one review with the Course Team Leader and Progress Mentor.
DO I NEED TO PURCHASE ANYTHING?
We may recommend revision books for purchase during the course and there may be additional costs associated with transport to Industry Placements and costs of relevant trips
THE DIGITAL TRANSITION PROGRAMME
Duration: 1 year
Location: Chaffron Way
Entry Requirements: You require a 4/C or above in English or Maths (with the other at grade 3) plus at least two other subjects at a 4/C or above or a Level 2 vocational qualification in a relevant subject.
How to Apply: Apply for the T Level and your options will be discussed at interview stage
Who is this course for:
This Transition to Advanced Digital course is specifically designed to prepare you to progress to Advanced options including T Levels and Apprenticeships, the course at its core has a number of elements that will be tailored to your
own skills development needs to help you get ready to transition to Advanced level.
This course focuses on developing your knowledge, skills and experience in
employability as well as offering elements related to IT alongside developing your wider study and personal skills.
This course is taught by teachers with real industry experience. You will be able to visit the workplace enabling you to experience the industry first hand and prepare you for your next steps.
How will I be assessed:
This is an exam and coursework based qualification. The full qualifications and units from this qualification are graded at a pass, merit or distinction. Your English or Maths resit will be assessed via a GCSE exam
What will I study:
You will study a bespoke course containing options from the following elements dependent on the skills you need to develop for progression:
- OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technical Certificate in IT which will include an additional Product Development unit to allow Students to explore their preferred specialisation from networking, software development or data. The core units for this qualification are: Fundamentals of IT &
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Employability Skills focused on developing your employability and personal skills for work
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Digital Skills for Work focused on the core digital skills for work including communicating professionally online
- CISCO IT &/or Network Essentials these are industry recognised certificates focusing on Computer hardware & networks
- GCSE resit in English or Maths
Alongside the qualifications above you will be expected to complete an Industry Placement of approximately 2 days per week and will need to complete independent study outside of College
Our investment in Digital skills
Milton Keynes College has won a £3.5 million bid for government funding to set up a new skills centre at our Chaffron Way campus. Companies and educators will collaborate in digital skills and artificial intelligence, to help make sure learners are being taught the digital skills local businesses really need.
Interested in a Digital Apprenticeship?
Earn while you learn and benefit from a huge network of support. An apprenticeship in IT is a great way to get into a digital career straight away while studying.
Explore our available roles, ranging from Information Communications Technicians to Environmental Data Analysts, and many more in between.