BCS Level 4 Certificate in IT
This course is accredited by the British Computer Society and is for professionals looking to build a solid foundation for a career in Digital Technologies. With options to personalise your learning to suit your current skills and abilities, there are also many benefits to studying a BCS accredited course at this level.
What will I do
The Level 4 Certificate in IT explores the fundamentals of computer and network technology, processor architecture, operating and information systems, software development and networks.
You will complete three modules at this level providing you with a rounded education, on which to build your career and onward learning:
1. Computer and network technology
Introduction to operating systems and system software
2. Information systems
Systems analysis and design
3. Software development
Fundamental concepts of the Programming Process
Phase Specific issues of Software Development
Introduction to Programming concepts
Intro to concept of user interface design
Role and need for system software
Case studies in problem solving/algorithm analysis
You will also have the opportunity to develop transferable skills such as communication, teamwork, research and analysis, which are highly valued in higher education and the workplace.
Upon successful completion of this qualification, candidates will be equipped
with the knowledge and understanding to enable them to progress on to a
broad range of further development areas such as Big Data management,
software engineering and web application development.
Following successful completion of the Certificate, you can also progress towards the BCS L5 Diploma in IT and select from the following options:
• Professional issues in IS Practice (core)
• Big Data Management
• Computer Networks
• IT Project Management
• IT Service Management
• Principles of User Interface Design
• Systems Analysis and Design
• Web Application Development
• Database Systems
• Object Orientated Programming Systems
• Principles of Internet Technologies
• Smart Systems
• Software Engineering 1
• User Experience
• Professional Project in IT
Is it for me?
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT
The Chartered Institute for IT are digital specialists and the only awarding focussed on computing and IT. As an approved centre for the course, the South Central Institute of Technology can offer an online and/or in person flexible offering to suit your personal commitments.
If you’re looking to enhance your career and have a passion for the subject, then this is the course for you. Our flexible option allows you to enter and exit to suit your personal circumstances; this approach can work well if you are already working or taking a break due to family and childcare responsibilities.
Not ready to apply yet? Why not contact us and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. We’ll be able to advise on whether this course is right for you and take it from there: email@example.com
• Study qualifications that give you practical skills so you can hit the ground running when you reach the workplace
• Raise your profile in the industry by becoming a BCS member and access lifelong career development resources
• Sign up to our code of conduct and demonstrate to clients and employers your commitment to professional standards
• Plan your skills, training and career goals against the global IT Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA)
• Set yourself on the path to Chartered IT Professional (CITP) status – the industry’s highest competency standard
How will my progress be monitored?
Our Digital Coaches will support you on your exciting learning journey. They will provide advice and guidance at regular intervals to ensure you achieve the best possible grade.
How will I be assessed?
The assessment for the BCS Level 4 Certificate in IT is a two-hour written examination for each of the three compulsory modules. Examinations are taken under exam conditions. The pass mark for each of the compulsory modules is 40%.
· You will complete paper-based exams with hand-written answers
· Exams include short answers, scenario-based and essay-style questions
· There are two exam sessions every year – usually held in March and September.
All exams will take place at the SCIoT campus in Bletchley.
How much will I have to study each week?
• You are expected to study 200 guided learning hours per module (600 in total)
• Weekly online sessions will take place and the opportunity to attend the campus to work with our Digital Coach is also available
• The most important thing for us is passion, dedication and commitment to learning about digital technologies at a higher level. We will discuss the most appropriate programme during interview
• You will need to be a BCS member and this is covered as part of your enrolment to the Certificate.
Are there any entry requirements?
The most important thing for us is passion, dedication and commitment to learning about computing.
It all starts with a conversation with our admissions team to find out about your interests and aspirations, and we’ll match you to the right pathway: firstname.lastname@example.org
work experience and employers
|This programme aims to develop your skills regardless of background:|
Are you at the start of your career?
I’m just starting out in the IT industry and want to follow a respected learning pathway that enables me to fulfil my ambitious career goals.
Are you progressing your career?
I’m already an IT practitioner looking to take the next step up, so I want to enhance my capabilities with flexible study that fits around my work.
Are you changing your career?
I’ve decided on a career change and will bring transferable skills with me to build on for a role in the IT industry.
If you already hold a qualification that covers the syllabus, you can apply for exemption from individual modules (up to 50 per cent of the qualification).
By becoming a BCS Student member at the start of your HEQ study you can take full advantage of the many exclusive membership resources available to support your learning, including personal assessments and e-learning, specialist groups network, mentoring, advice from employers and discount across the BCS Bookshop.
SPRINGBOARD – YOUR PERSONAL CAREER CENTRE
The Springboard platform offers thousands of pages of resources and tools including:
• CV360 platform – draft your perfect CV then find out how it performs against the selection systems used by recruiters across industry
• Interview simulator – browse the questions commonly asked by employers and practise your answers in a mock interview
• e-learning modules – hone your business and soft skills with over 1000 self-study courses, articles and videos
• Bite-size videos – receive guidance and advice from employers and industry leaders on everything from boosting your commercial awareness to performing well in appraisals
• Personal assessments – understand your motivations, preferences and values in the workplace so you can prepare for rewarding
• Publications – access a range of BCS e-books for free
Discover Digital at MK College
Meet tutors, hear more about our digital courses and explore our facilities.