Are you looking for a new job or additional work?
Have you been furloughed or are you at risk of redundancy?
Millions of people globally have had their employment affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, including young people and adults of all ages in Milton Keynes.
Here, New Futures:MK Career Coach Alex Gowen shares his top five tips to help you find a new job in a lockdown.
- Stay active: It is easy to think all companies have closed during lockdown, but many are making plans for when the pandemic starts to ease. You will be surprised when you type into your internet search just what kind of jobs are being advertised. The jobs website indeed.co.uk is often my first port of call when looking for a new job. Other great places to look include LinkedIn, which has grown quickly in recent months because of remote working and the virtual office. The best way to get a feel for the jobs that are available is to try out different search terms, to help you get better at recognising the jobs that feel right and those that don’t.
- Take stock of your skills and experience: You may be on furlough or out of work, but now is a good time to assess what you are good at and where your skills could be useful. Remember, everyone has transferable skills and working in one sector does not mean you cannot go into another. If you need help identifying your existing skills and experience and how they could be transferred to other sectors, you can sign up to New Futures:MK for expert support with this.
- Think outside the box: When job hunting, it’s important to keep an open mind and be flexible. The global pandemic has inevitably caused fluctuations in demand. Some industries have grown in the past year, for example Healthcare and Distribution, whereas others have suffered considerably, like Retail and Hospitality, so this may be the perfect time to try something new. Consider expanding your job search into other sectors and be open to training – this could be a good time to get a new qualification to boost your CV or help you take the first steps into a new industry. Showing an open mind and taking on new challenges may mean that you gain experience in new areas and discover strengths you did not realise you had.
- Reach out: Is there help there that will get you moving forward? Often it is just a nudge in the right direction, but a fresh pair of eyes could save you time when applying for jobs. Through New Futures:MK, you’ll have access to a trained Careers Mentor who will work with you 1-2-1 to help you refresh your skills and find a new role. During the lockdown, all sessions are taking place remotely via video and telephone calls (so, this could be great practice for job interviews via Teams or Zoom). Also, remember to make use of your support network! Whether that’s friends and family, professional contacts you may have or a recruiter you’re working with, make sure you use every available resource.
- Be ready: You never know when that ideal job will come up! Having a strong and up-to-date C.V. and cover letter templates in place which you can quickly and easily edit to suit an application means you are ready to go quickly. We recommend tailoring your C.V. and cover letter for each vacancy you choose to apply for to really impress employers. Through New Futures:MK we are working with several local employers in Milton Keynes to understand their needs and the types of job vacancies they have available, so we can help you stand the best chance of succeeding in the recruitment process.
Ready to get some help?
MK College has partnered with Milton Keynes Council to provide support to Milton Keynes residents of all ages who need help finding work. We will give you the skills you need to find a new job in the new recruitment landscape, including help with CV writing and using technology to apply for jobs.
You will be given a dedicated Career Mentor who will work with you to uncover your unique value from your career to date and how these skills could be transferred to roles in emerging sectors. If you need help retraining, or brushing up your existing skills, we can help with that too.
Sign up for New Futures:MK today.