15 things to do instead of scrolling on social media
We’re all guilty of it. Scrolling endlessly on our social media apps when we think there’s nothing to do. Turns out, there’s plenty of things to do that don’t include even looking at your phone!
We’re not expecting you to do away with your Instagram or Snapchat, but at least once a day make the active decision to step away from your phone and try something new.
- Reflect on something that made you happy within the last 24 hours
- Imagine your life turned into a movie (which genre would it be, what actor would play you, what would the title be?)
- Draw a selfie
- Re-organise your wardrobe (it’s coming up to summer, time to put away those jumpers and get out the shorts!)
- Make a list of the 10 best books you’ve ever read, ask your friends to do the same and swap lists.
- Play Boggle (how many words can you make from the word ANAESTHETIC) E.g. ethics
- Concentrate on your breathing
- Make notes on a project you always wanted to tackle
- Answer this riddle – I have a mouth but don’t eat, I have a bank with no money, I have a bed but don’t sleep. What am I?
- Write a list of 10 places you want to go to and do some research on each. We won’t be self-isolating forever, so you need to be prepared when the time comes to book your next getaway.
- Write an advertising slogan for ‘Your favourite hobby’ or ‘Your favourite drink’
- “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” Devise another sentence that uses all the letters in the alphabet
- Decide what you will prepare for dinner tonight – why not take it a step further and devise a full menu for your family or partner?
- Learn the order of the planets from the sun – “My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets” – Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto*
- Think of three things you would take to a desert island
- (Bonus one!) Think about a skill you want to develop that isn’t necessarily related to your career. There are plenty of free courses out there, including our Distance Learning offering.